Author Topic: The Division damage mitigation an important stat  (Read 1085 times)

The Division damage mitigation an important stat
« on: May 01, 2016, 12:28:22 PM »

Offline OutlawJOtCWales

• Committee Member
  • The OTC
  • Applaud/Smite +14/-0
    • Jo C Wales
    • View Profile
In The Division I've been focusing a lot on my DPS but I started coming to the realization that maybe it's not an accurate depiction on the amount of damage you're truly dealing.  See, I thought it was the amount of damage you are capable of doing in one second.  It is not.  After some digging I found some links that I will post on how the devs calculate DPS and I also stumbled upon this damage mitigation stat.

It turns out that a weapons DPS is actually calculated by determining how much damage a weapon will do if you fire the full magazine into a target and every shot hits.  Damage mitigation technically can't go above 65% and is mostly based on the combined armor (ARM) score of all your gear pieces.  An armor level around 4600 should get you there.  However, in the background of the game engine you can technically get it higher through stats like exotic damage resilience, elite enemy damage resistance etc.

https://m.reddit.com/r/thedivision/comments/4an0bx/armor_and_weapon_damage_mitigation/

http://webjunkiesblog.blogspot.com/2016/03/the-division-damage-damage-mitigation.html?m=1

https://www.reddit.com/r/thedivision/comments/47b8a2/dps_an_indepth_guide_wip/

Re: The Division damage mitigation an important stat
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 12:30:56 PM »

Offline OutlawJOtCWales

• Committee Member
  • The OTC
  • Applaud/Smite +14/-0
    • Jo C Wales
    • View Profile
I forgot to mention that you can find your damage mitigation score by opening your inventory, scroll over to CHARACTER, then scroll down to SURVIVABILITY.

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 01:17:19 PM »

Offline Eag1ePoop

• OTC Member
  • Clash Of Clans
  • Applaud/Smite +7/-3
    • R3dEag1e
    • View Profile
I'm not sure what you're saying here..

DPS is the damage per second you can put on an enemy (if every bullet hits).

Damage Mitigation is reducing the damage put onto you by the enemy.  Your armor rating "should" affect this if it's been coded correctly in the game.. but it doesn't (or shouldn't) have any affect to your DPS. 

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 01:37:19 PM »

Offline OutlawJOtCWales

• Committee Member
  • The OTC
  • Applaud/Smite +14/-0
    • Jo C Wales
    • View Profile
You are correct that armor doesn't have an effect on dps. What happened was I was trying to figure out how they measure it in game, and I stumbled upon some info for getting one's mitigation up.

Sorry for any confusion.

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 11:33:36 AM »

Offline Shawsy4

• Addicted to Video Games Since Pong
  • Committee Member
  • Clash Of Clans
  • Applaud/Smite +6/-1
    • View Profile
I don't think you were the one that caused the confusion!! 

Thanks for pointing out the rather convoluted behind the scenes calculations (or at least the existence thereof) that the game devs built in.